Tuesday, February 14, 2017


The Shadow of a Great Rock

See, a king will reign in righteousness and rulers will rule with justice.
Each one will be like a shelter from the wind and a refuge from the storm, like streams of water in the desert and the shadow of a great rock in a thirsty land.  Isaiah 32:1-2 NIV

shadow rock.jpgJust the other morning, on our prayer walk, I asked Glen if he would pray for me about my lack of empathy for a neighbor.  This has been an ongoing situation where I have needed to - literally - bless someone who - literally - curses us.  I was finding love in short supply on my end.

As Glen prayed for me, an image of a huge rock in the middle of a desert came to mind.  Instantly I remembered Isaiah 32:1-2, especially, “...like the shadow of a great rock in a thirsty land.”

This has been one of my favorite verses for years.  Before Glen prayed for me - for years and years, actually - I always saw myself and fellow Christians as the rock in the metaphor. There we are, needing to stand strong in the middle of the heat and the bleakness of desert places so weary wanderers can find their rest alongside us.

I was wrong.  As the image grew clearer in my mind, I realized that the focus was on the SHADOW.  The verses are about the coming Messiah (Jesus) and those who are subject to his rule and reign.  HE is the rock.  THEY are the shadow of the rock. Their life is derived from his.  “For who is God, but the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God,”  Psalm 18:31 Weary wanderers find their rest alongside HIM.  WE make them welcome.

The pressure was off just like that!  I don’t have to muster up blessings or love or strength.  I am NOT the rock. I am a shadow cast by Christ.  The love I have, the blessings I speak, all emanate from Him.  In him there is NO END to the love I have to offer!  I will be a shadow, a welcome refuge - a place of blessing.

Beverly

No comments:

Post a Comment