Thursday, December 15, 2016

peace.jpgThe LORD make his face shine on you   
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you
  and give you peace.
Numbers 6:25-26




The other night I had a panic episode as soon as my head hit the pillow.  Unfortunately, this is not unusual.  Panic doesn’t hit me because I am worrying about something, or because I’ve found a spider in my bed, or for any reasonable reason whatsoever.  Panic just hits me because I have faulty neural-wiring.  


The next morning, on my knees, I was praying about this.  I have, over the years, asked God repeatedly to remove this affliction.  The answer - so far - has been, “No.”  That morning I took another tack with God:


“It’s my heart I’m worried about, Lord.  I don’t think it can take this kind of a beating so often.  It’s not healthy!”


I waited, quieting my thoughts, listening for God’s response…


In my mind a picture suddenly appeared.  It was a manger.  It was THE manger, and the infant Jesus was in it. But this manger was not in a cave or a stable or a grotto, as was that first, most famous Bethlehem manger.  This manger was in my heart.


That simple image reminded me that, no matter what my circumstances - even including the state of my health - my heart, full of HIM, is safe.  Wars, rumors of wars, earthquakes, elections, faulty neural-wiring, etc….  My heart, full of HIM, is safe.  This is a peace that outlasts and overcomes every circumstance.


For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.  Isaiah 9:6


Blessings,
Beverly



No comments:

Post a Comment